Monday 30 January 2012

A fun day with bureaucracy

Some paper work I want done within the day rather than by post brought me to downtown Atlanta today, and to government buildings.

How is the decision made about where to put such buildings? Why are they so often in the strangest areas?

Anyway, I found public parking and while I was paying for my ticket, a girl accosted me and offered me cash to drive her away as she was "being followed". Now, I have no wish to leave a young woman in distress, but unfortunately today I don't have the word "idiot" tattooed on my forehead. I told her I couldn't help and turned back to my ticket machine. She proceeded to insult me, as you do, I suppose. I ignored her and she left. After placing my parking ticket in my car I walk down the pavement, and there she is: hiding in the weeds alongside the parking lot. And no: not sitting half hidden, I mean actively hiding; crouched with her head below the leaves, facing down. She also had bright red hair, so in fact stood out more like that.

At this point I am thoroughly confused and have no wish to leave my car anywhere near her, so I throw my $3 to the wind and get back in my car to look for new parking. As I drive by she is sitting in a lawn chair, by the pavement, casually chatting with a young man.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly have been about??

Oh well, I found an attended parking lot and went to take care of my business. A note here: every government office I have had to deal with in Atlanta has been a good experience. I always expect the worst in these situations, but I have always found friendliness, manners and speedy service in this city.

Problem: they required a stamp from the UK embassy.

No problem: turns out the UK embassy is only a few blocks away. Which I walk. In the heat.

Problem: the UK embassy is only open 3.5 hours a day, and had closed 20 minutes prior to my arrival. And if that's the UK I imagine the Italian embassy is open only 30 minutes twice a week when the full moon is shining.

Good times, I look forward to doing it all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment