Wednesday 15 June 2011

The Dilemma and Sarah Palin

Yup: two separate things.

Have you ever seen the film The Dilemma? It's awful, but that's beside the point. There's a scene at the end, when the two best friends are fighting and one says to the other, pointing in his face and full of anger:
"It must have been really difficult for you, I can't even imagine, but don't ever keep a secret from me again."
And you realise: that's a very mature and reasonable response, and it just doesn't make for great TV.

Which brings me to Palin: why do you think everyone over here in the old world likes to talk about Palin and those crazy Americans that just might elect her? Because the "crazy Americans" won't elect her but the serious contenders just don't make for great TV. Why focus on a well-reasoned and intelligent Ron Paul when you can focus on Palin and get a laugh out of it.

By the way: look up Ron Paul.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaand, I love you for this post. Actually I love you anyway. I also love Ron Paul, despite the fact that he & I are on total opposite ends of the political spectrum. I love him because he's one of the only politicians in ANY party, who does what he does out of true passion his country. He actually operates from an ideology, the premise of which, is NOT "what's in this for me?" If we could clone his integrity and intelligence and then inject it into the idiots we've been saddled with as "candidates," there might be hope for reasoned problem solving.

    But that won't happen, so back to Palin TV I guess. Uggh. Another long election cycle looms. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, and it's annoying how the press keep referring to him as a secondary contender or something, which will have the effect of making him so. Especially out here, people haven't even heard of him.

    In any case I agree on all points: he is in it because he actually has opinions and ideas about making the country better. He has lived in the real world, as opposed to the political world, and now wants to improve it.

    ReplyDelete