Tuesday 7 June 2011

I love what I do

A friend recently told me I am the only person she knows who likes her job. Which was a little depressing.

I know a lot of people don't like their jobs, or don't like the daily activity of their jobs, but I was surprised to hear I am so rare. My problem is not enough time to do more jobs.

I work at Linex Systems, as well as DumbAgent.com, and yes I love both of those jobs (and the daily activities each requires). The work is fun, the goal is motivating, the companies are ones with which I am glad to be associated. And for each I can point to my influence and outcome and know this day has taught me something new.

But then, living this way was never really an option selected from several. I mean: it always seemed quite obvious.

Looking back I realise I grew up in a home where my parents didn't complain about work. Or about anything really. In retrospect I realise sometimes things didn't go their way, but their attitude never faltered.

Anyway all this to say that it was always normal for me that you liked your job. And if you don't, you change it. This isn't separate from your own commitment to making it fun, nobody is going to do it for you. But then, I think people just like complaining. Somehow a lot of people seem to think that that is the greatest aspiration in life: to have a life about which you can complain. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment