Tuesday 26 July 2011

Duck Pond and Goose Puddle

So Swan Lake was, I have to admit, striking.

I am not the ballet fan - funny enough - in my house. Giuseppe rather has been wanting to see a ballet at the Royal Opera House for a while now, ever since we happened upon tickets to the Bolshoi in Moscow. It sparked an interest for him. I, on other hand, always said that if I was going to spend money on ROH tickets, it would be for opera (which I love).

But we have been to see a few operas there, and what with leaving London soon (and me having a slightly better understanding of ballet, now that I do it a little), I caved.

And who wouldn't after all: this was opening night of the ballet season, showing Swan Lake performed by the Mariinsky Theatre, who basically re-created Swan Lake as we know it.

The staging was beautiful, that I will say. Odette/Odile was quite sincerely un-imaginable: she looked like dancing perfection. My other favourite was Benno (I think - dressed as a joker?).

All truth be told, though: I would have shaved an hour off the whole thing.

Update:
Everybody to whom I mention Swan Lake has asked if Giuseppe managed to sit through the whole thing. It's interesting to me how people can know us so well, and yet social stereotypes maintain the ruling ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment