Sunday 28 August 2011

"I want to do nothing"

Not me, other people say that. I've never understood it. People wanting to quit their jobs to do "nothing".

When I ask, people will often say "I can spend my time doing what I want to do."
So what do you want to do?
"Travel."
Where?
"Everywhere."
And then?

It's a personal thing of course, but I can't imagine living without producing. I have to learn every day, and apply my new knowledge the next. I have to be building something I can point to.

Sure: reading, travelling, absorbing, it's all part of that process. But it's not an end in itself.

Then of course there are those who just want to sit on a beach all day. Can you imagine that conversation?

So, what did u do today?
"I sat on the beach."
Oh right, same as last week yeah?
"Yeah."
And how is it working out for you?
"Pretty good. There was a beach. And I sat. Good times."

No comments:

Post a Comment