Wednesday 7 September 2011

Talking to yourself

We have a new post up at DumbAgent, it's one I really like for reasons beyond the one states on the blog.

Check out How to Find a Job - It's about the advantages of interacting with a wide variety of people: it's about the advantages of diversity. No: I don't mean people who look different from one another, period. I mean people with a diversity of experience and history, cultures and backgrounds, interests and knowledge.

Ocean authored the article and he quotes Malcolm Gladwell who asks, if your friends all "occupy the same world as you do... How much would they know, that you wouldn't know?"

Did you ever get that feeling, when talking to somebody, even a good friend, that you have learnt everything you ever will from him? That's a bad feeling.

I'm also going to take this on a bit of a tangent now.

My Italian friends often tell me that I am so very American. Which would surprise my American friends who are amused by how Italian I am. Let me tell you why this irks me a little: I don't really understand what it even means. Are all Italians/American exactly like you? Not so. So are you only associating with people exactly like you? Perhaps, and if so, they're not all the same by all being Italian/American. Dig deeper. And then break out of that: playing it safe, even in your social life, will exclude a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment