Thursday 10 May 2012

Less mockery, more conversation

I was baffled by the North Carolina vote yesterday - I know there are people who oppose gay marriage but I thought this was limited to some extreme religious views (of all religions) and a few people who are afraid of change, as people can sometimes be. Overall I thought this wasn't really an issue anymore.

And I delighted in the mockery yesterday too, I liked the Facebook postings about marrying cousins and narrow-mindedness. But that was my mistake: the truth is people should be able to decide for themselves what their states allow and don't allow. I find a desire to disallow other people marrying completely nonsensical, but making fun of that view is not going to change anybody's mind. Quite the opposite, it makes people defensive of their views more often than not.

So next time this arises I will try harder to engage in conversation, rather than mockery. While I disagree with your view, I will do my best to understand, if you wish to explain it to me. Perhaps you will do the same with mine and we can both move one step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment