Monday 11 March 2013

Paper, paper everywhere

An intense week in New York for a client roll out and a user group event. All this for my principle day job at Linex Systems.

And what struck me the most? Paper! Everybody had paper. Ok, not everybody, but too many people. People are bringing printed out emails to meetings. When was the last time you printed an email? It's an email. I can access it on my tablet or phone or laptop. A paper copy is just excessive. And notes. On paper?
I can accept the latter if you have a preference for hand writing (although there are, of course, apps for that). But to type notes and print them out is just a little odd.

Anyway, in other news I got to spend the night at LaGuardia airport. To give you a bullet-point version of my return flight:

  • Get to airport early
  • On stand by for earlier flight, don't make it
  • My flight is delayed
  • My flight is cancelled, I phone airline to get put on next day flight
  • Stand in line for boarding pass and hotel coupon
  • Wait for hotel shuttle
  • Announcement hotel rooms are not available
  • Phone every hotel at LaGuardia, all booked
  • Airline announces Port Authority will set up cots


An hour goes by (at this point we are over 4 hours passed my original flight time). And I'm tired. So I ask about the cots. Twice. Finally:

  • Airline personnel has to go home, tell me and 1 other left-over passenger to go to check-in counter
  • Nobody at check-in counter except people cleaning, they give us phone number for Port Authority (and I mean a 1-800 number)
  • Port Authority tell us to return to gate
  • TSA Security will not let us through, tell us to find customer support
  • Customer support person laughs (Laughs!) and says nobody has instructed him to set up cots

**I start to lose patience and am telling him to put me on the phone to his boss, so I can instruct him to instruct him to set up cots**

  • Other support guy finds us, tells us cots are almost ready and to wait by "red car"
  • We ask 3 separate people around red car, nobody knows. Last guy directs us to airport admin offices
  • Guys at admin office want to go to bed, have never heard of red car and finally say the cots are at the end of the white hallway
  • Amazingly: we find the cots. 
At 1AM, I lay down in my cot. My flight was supposed to leave 6 hours earlier at 7PM. 

I slept here. And yes: that light was on all night. Along with security announcements over the loud-speaker. 

Paper Sheets. Not complaining.



2 comments:

  1. Which airline? It doesn't really matter, they are all awful. Name another industry where the service provider, employees, the regulator, and the clients are all antagonists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I do wonder why we put up with it. Most of us wouldn't accept this from other services. And the complete disconnect between all these providers, who are all part of the puzzle, is astounding.

    ReplyDelete