Friday 4 July 2014

Boys are smart, girls are thin?

"How would American girls’ lives be different if parents were half as concerned with their bodies and twice as intrigued by their minds?"

A NY Times piece, which I found on Experimental and Behavioral Economics, so I post his mention here. 

Parents are two and a half times more likely to ask “Is my son gifted?” than “Is my daughter gifted?” ...What concerns do parents disproportionately have for their daughters? Primarily, anything related to appearance. Consider questions about a child’s weight. Parents Google “Is my daughter overweight?” roughly twice as frequently as they Google “Is my son overweight?” Just as with giftedness, this gender bias is not grounded in reality. About 30 percent of girls are overweight, while 33 percent of boys are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment