Sunday 13 November 2011

A little bit of London Jazz Week

Saturday night at the Royal Opera House - Linbury Theatre. As part of London Jazz Week Jack Savoretti performed, opening for the Lucinda Belle Orchestra. It's a night out I shall remember for a long time to come.

Find out more about Jack Savoretti on his Facebook page. I am not often a fan of the acoustic guitar ballad, but Jack's album Between the Minds was one that forced me to open my horizons. It is song after song of beauty. A couple of examples are Dreamers and Dr. Frankenstein. Oh and also Killing Man [Grooveshark links]. Go listen to more.  His current album is Harder Than Easy and I shall keep things simple by giving you the link to the whole album.

After Jack came the Lucinda Belle Orchestra. This, by the way, is how band music should be. Creative, beautiful, consistency in image and sound, with an entertaining performance.
The set started with the harp, sounding pretty much as I expect a harp to sound. As other instruments entered the foray sounds came together to form an excellent dixie-jazz tune. Along with her harp are a piano, classical bass, clarinet, cello, trombone and more. It was one of those things that got me so excited I can't actually aptly describe it. But I do highly recommend seeing this orchestra live.

For now I leave you with Lucinda Belle's version of Lady Gaga's Telephone. She played this, although a highlight of the night for me was "Rose Marie and Bobby McGee".

Oh and if anybody can find a recording of her version of Smells Like Teen Spirit you must let me know. I have to own this track!


No comments:

Post a Comment