Wednesday 2 November 2011

New Month Limericks

The Gebhardts start November with a bang.


Beginning with Pater:

In old monasteries the abbots
Enforced most peculiar habits:
“Each day make your bed,
Each week shave your head,
On the first of each month say ‘White Rabbits.’”

I added my 2 cents:

When I first made American friends
I shared what I thought well-known trends
All my family habits
Like saying "White Rabbits"
And thus many friendships met ends

Annalee continued in style:

Today the new month's begun
Another without any sun
Though sounding quite strange
This bad luck could change
"White Rabbits" the secret of fun.

And the Colorado contingent moved us on to haiku:

White rabbits? Humbug!
I ain't a scared of no ghosts.
(cross fingers and toes.)

3 comments:

  1. Be careful when rhyming with abbots
    One's tempted to conjure white rabbits
    Rhyming rabbit with monk
    Sure seems a slam dunk
    And one must avoid such bad habits

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day, in the shade of the apse,
    A nun made a serious lapse,
    When she served to the abbot
    From under her habit
    An episcopal helping of schnapps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I could come up with something witty...but I'm only half a Gebhardt.
    Angela Williams-Gebhardt.

    ReplyDelete